Made this for Christmas Eve dinner and used Granny Smith Apples. It turned out great but I think it might have been even better if I had pre-baked the bottom crust.
Walnut-Crusted Apple Pie
Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Cindy Barr
Yield: Serves 10 (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 50 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 281
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 43.1g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 122mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 1 pound Pink Lady apples (about 2), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 pound Golden Delicious apples (about 2), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice-cold vodka
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1. Combine first 8 ingredients; toss to coat.
- 2. Place nuts in a food processor; process until finely ground. Weigh or lightly spoon 6.75 ounces flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to food processor; pulse 5 times. Add butter; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly add vodka through food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 3 to 4 times. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Gently press each portion into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap. Cover with plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 4. Unwrap and place 1 dough piece on plastic wrap. Cover with 2 sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 10-inch circle. Place into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Spoon apple mixture into pie plate.
- 5. Unwrap and place remaining portion of dough on plastic wrap. Cover with 2 sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Place over apple mixture. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under; flute. Cut slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
- 6. Combine milk and egg yolk, stirring with a whisk. Gently brush top of dough with milk mixture. Place pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet; bake at 425° for 20 minutes in the lower third of oven. Shield edges of piecrust with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 30 minutes or until browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts