- 1 pound Pink Lady apples (about 2), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 pound Golden Delicious apples (about 2), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice-cold vodka
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- calories 281
- fat 10.4 g
- satfat 4.2 g
- monofat 2.3 g
- polyfat 3.2 g
- protein 3.7 g
- carbohydrate 43.1 g
- fiber 2.2 g
- cholesterol 34 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 122 mg
- calcium 28 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 8 ingredients; toss to coat.
Place nuts in a food processor; process until finely ground. Weigh or lightly spoon 75 ounces flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to food processor; pulse 5 times. Add butter; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly add vodka through food chute, processing just until combined (do not form a ball). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 3 to 4 times. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Gently press each portion into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap. Cover with plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425°.
Unwrap and place 1 dough piece on plastic wrap. Cover with 2 sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 10-inch circle. Place into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Spoon apple mixture into pie plate.
Unwrap and place remaining portion of dough on plastic wrap. Cover with 2 sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Place over apple mixture. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under; flute. Cut slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
Combine milk and egg yolk, stirring with a whisk. Gently brush top of dough with milk mixture. Place pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet; bake at 425° for 20 minutes in the lower third of oven. Shield edges of piecrust with foil. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 30 minutes or until browned. Cool on a wire rack.