syrup only needs to be cooked for 3-4 minutes. 10-15 minutes and it burns every time.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 366
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 4.2g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 8.2g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 209mg
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups walnut halves
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or whipping cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1/2 cup butter and the brown sugar until smooth. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Add flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt and beat until mixture forms a ball.
- 2. Press dough over bottom and up sides to rim of a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable rim. Freeze until firm, 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, spread walnuts in a large baking pan. Bake until lightly golden under skins, about 8 minutes (leave oven on). When walnuts are cool enough to handle, chop 2 cups; reserve remainder.
- 4. Bake tart shell until golden, 16 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium heat, combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water. Stir until sugar is dissolved, then increase heat to high and boil, swirling mixture occasionally, until mixture is a deep golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in crème fraîche, remaining 1/4 cup butter, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt (mixture will foam). Stir until smooth.
- 6. Spread chopped walnuts in tart shell, then pour in hot caramel; spread level. Garnish edge of tart with reserved walnut halves. Let tart cool until caramel is firm enough to slice, at least 4 hours, or chill up to 2 days (bring to room temperature before serving). Cut into thin wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts