I have baked this cake for 40 years and it is always a crowd pleaser. This was originally called "Wacky Cake" because it could be mixed up in the baking pan - I just find it easier to mix in a bowl. I use a confection sugar and peanut butter frosting --yum yum!
Yield: one 13- x 9-inch cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups cold water
- Caramel Frosting
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add vanilla, vinegar, and butter; beat well. Slowly stir in water; beat well.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. Spread Caramel Frosting over cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings