I have baked this cake for 40 years and it is always a crowd pleaser. This was originally called "Wacky Cake" because it could be mixed up in the baking pan - I just find it easier to mix in a bowl. I use a confection sugar and peanut butter frosting --yum yum!
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups cold water
- Caramel Frosting
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add vanilla, vinegar, and butter; beat well. Slowly stir in water; beat well.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool. Spread Caramel Frosting over cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note