This is a wonderful recipe. It is tart and simple. It reminds me of my great grandparents and the lean times when this desert was a godsend.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 599
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 4.9g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrate: 87g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- about 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup solid shortening
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1. Mix 3 cups flour with salt. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until crumbly. With a fork, gradually mix in just enough water (about 1/2 cup) until dough holds together. Divide dough into 3 equal portions.
- 2. On a floured board, roll out each portion into an oval 1/8 inch thick and 8 to 10 inches long. Cut lengthwise into 1-inch-wide strips.
- 3. In an ovenproof 5- to 6-quart pan that's about 10 inches wide, combine vinegar, sugar, vanilla, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4. Reserve 8 pastry strips, and tear the remainder into pieces about 1/2 inch long. Drop torn pieces into boiling liquid. Boil 5 minutes.
- 5. Remove pan from heat. Crisscross remaining 8 strips on top of the cooked dough pieces, making a lattice and trimming ends to fit. Push leftover trimmed dough scraps into syrup.
- 6. Bake in a 425° oven until lattice top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot or warm. Spoon into bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts