Outstanding! Some of the reviewers of this dish seem to be either very unfamiliar with Vietnamese/Asian cuisine, or daunted by some serious knife work. The effort is well worth the work in my view, as well as an entertaining part of making the meal. Have some of your foodie friends over and divide up the work. The prep is part of the fun, and the results are super fresh and flavorful. An older Vietnamese lady I know, also told me it is quite authentic. If you live in a small town or rural area, some of the ingredients may not be readily available. It is worth the effort to plan ahead and hunt them down. Trust me!
Vietnamese Summer Rolls
This refreshing, no-cook summer roll recipe offers menu flexibility: Serving two rolls constitutes an entrée, or you can serve one as an appetizer. Either way, the zesty, delicious dipping sauce is a must.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 164
- Calories from fat: 5%
- Fat: 0.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 27.1g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 206mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 1 cup thinly sliced Bibb lettuce
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup cooked bean threads (cellophane noodles, about 1 ounce uncooked)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 2)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 6 ounces cooked peeled and deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 8 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- Dipping sauce:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1. To prepare the rolls, combine the first 8 ingredients.
- 2. Add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish; let stand 30 seconds or just until soft. Place sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1/3 cup shrimp mixture over half of sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Folding sides of sheet over filling and starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying). Repeat procedure with remaining shrimp mixture and rice paper sheets.
- 3. To prepare dipping sauce, combine sugar and remaining ingredients; stir with a whisk. Serve with summer rolls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note