Vietnamese Skewered Pork and Onions
Notes: Serve with thinly sliced cucumbers marinated in seasoned rice vinegar.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 468
- Calories from fat: 7.9%
- Protein: 28g
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 78g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 1097mg
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 lb.)
- 3 green onions (3 oz. total)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed or chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 12 green- or red-leaf lettuce leaves (3 oz. total), rinsed and crisped
- 1. Trim and discard fat from tenderloin. Rinse meat and pat dry. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices and place in a heavy plastic food bag.
- 2. Rinse onions and trim and discard ends. From white ends, roughly slice enough onions to make 1/3 cup; cut remaining green tops into 1 1/2-inch lengths and set aside. In a blender or food processor, whirl roughly sliced onions, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and pepper until smooth. Pour marinade over pork and seal bag; turn to mix well. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a 2- to 3-quart pan, combine rice and 2 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until most of the water is absorbed, 7 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- 4. While rice cooks, lift pork from marinade; reserve marinade. Thread equal portions of meat onto 4 metal skewers (8 to 10 in.) so slices lie flat, with 1 reserved green onion piece perpendicular to skewer between each 2 meat slices.
- 5. Set skewers in a single layer on a rack in a foil-lined 10- by 15-inch broiler pan; broil 3 inches from heat, turning once, until pork is browned on both sides and no longer pink in the center (cut to test), 6 to 8 minutes total.
- 6. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over high heat, bring reserved marinade, any pan juices, marmalade, and vinegar to a boil. Pour into a bowl.
- 7. Serve skewers with lettuce leaves, rice, and marmalade-vinegar sauce. Place a spoonful of rice and a piece of meat on a lettuce leaf, drizzle with sauce to taste, and wrap up to eat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes