This is very bright and fresh tasting - each of the ingredients adds something. We had a delicious ripe melon from the farmers market and it went very well with the other ingredients which could have all stood as a salad on their own. Sautéed uncooked shelled and deveined shrimp in sesame oil rather than poaching to add a little flavor - worked well.
Vietnamese Shrimp and Green Melon Salad
Photo: Iain Bagwell
The melon cools the spice in this fresh, lively summer salad. We like it with shrimp, but it's also good with grilled calamari.
Yield: Serves 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 210
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 23g
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 735mg
- Cholesterol: 153mg
- 1 pound cleaned, deveined medium shrimp (24 to 30 per lb.), poached
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 1/2 serrano chile, sliced thinly
- 3 cups sliced honeydew or Galia melon wedges
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews
- Toss shrimp, herbs, onion, chile, and melon together in a large bowl. Mix together juice, sugar, and fish sauce, then pour over salad. Top with cashews.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 3/4 cups.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This