Making these rolls is quite fun though I haven't mastered the technique. The rolls are delicious! I have also substituted the lettuce with watercress for a spicier variation. I also make a peanut sauce with peanut butter for the dipping sauce. Very yummy!!!
Vietnamese Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
Crunchy vegetables pair with hoisin-seasoned chicken in this refreshing appetizer. You can make the sauce and chicken mixture a few hours ahead, but assemble the rolls just before serving so they don't dry out.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 176
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 11.9g
- Carbohydrate: 22.9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 422mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot chile sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 12 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- 3 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 36 (2-inch) julienne-cut seeded peeled cucumber
- 36 (2-inch) julienne-cut red bell pepper
- 36 mint leaves
- To prepare sauce, combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until honey dissolves. Stir in peanuts.
- To prepare rolls, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, and chicken; sauté 5 minutes. Combine chicken mixture, hoisin sauce, and chile sauce; chill.
- Add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish. Let stand 30 seconds or just until soft. Place sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1/4 cup lettuce over half of sheet, leaving a 1-inch border. Top lettuce with 1/4 cup chicken mixture, 3 cucumber strips, 3 bell pepper strips, and 3 mint leaves. Folding sides of sheet over filling and starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying).
- Repeat procedure with remaining sheets, lettuce, chicken mixture, cucumber strips, bell pepper strips, and mint leaves. Slice each roll in half diagonally. Serve rolls with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note