Yummy!! Made exactly as directed. Delicious!
Vietnamese Chicken Sandwiches
Lean chicken stands in for pork in Vietnamese Chicken Sandwiches, yielding a light twist on this Asian-inspired sandwich.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 50 Minutes
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 59.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 802mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 1 (12-ounce) French bread baguette
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 cup very thinly sliced radishes
- 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 1. Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell.
- 2. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Sauté 3 minutes on each side or until done. Let stand 10 minutes. Slice chicken; toss with 1 teaspoon garlic.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and hoisin in a bowl; add chicken. Toss. Combine sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan; cook until sugar dissolves. Add carrot and radishes. Cool; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons vinegar mixture.
- 4. Arrange cucumber and lettuce on bottom half of bread; drizzle with vinegar mixture. Top with chicken, radish mixture, cilantro, Sriracha, and bread top. Cut into 4 equal portions.
- If you like fresh basil, try Tuscan Pesto Chicken Panini: Prepare Vietnamese Chicken Sandwiches through step 2, substituting 8 ounces ciabatta bread for the baguette (do not hollow out bread) and sprinkling 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt on chicken with the black pepper. Combine 1 cup basil, 1 tablespoon chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon water, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt in a mini food processor, and pulse until finely chopped. Cut a peeled roasted red bell pepper into quarters; discard seeds and membranes. Arrange pepper quarters on bottom half of bread. Top with 2 (1-ounce) slices provolone cheese and sliced chicken. Spread basil mixture on cut side of top half of bread; place on sandwich. Cut sandwich crosswise into 4 equal portions. Serves 4 Calories 391; Fat 15.8g (sat 4g); Sodium 793mg
- If you like pickles, try Pressed Cuban-Style Sandwiches: Prepare Vietnamese Chicken Sandwiches through step 2, substituting 8 ounces Cuban bread for baguette (do not hollow out bread) and sprinkling 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt on chicken with pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard over bottom half of bread; top with 1 ounce shredded Havarti cheese (about 1/4 cup), 1 ounce lower-sodium sliced ham, and chicken. Sprinkle chicken with 2 tablespoons chopped spicy kosher dill pickle; cover with top half of bread. Return pan to medium heat; coat with cooking spray. Add sandwich to pan; top with another heavy skillet to weigh down. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Cut sandwich crosswise into 4 equal portions. Serves 4 Calories 315; Fat 8.9g (sat 2.5g); Sodium 761mg
- If you like avocado, try Chicken-Avocado Club Sandwiches: Prepare Vietnamese Chicken Sandwiches through step 2, substituting 12 slices toasted thin wheat bread for baguette (do not hollow out bread), substituting cooking spray for oil, and sprinkling 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt on chicken with pepper. Combine 1 cup mashed avocado, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 2 teaspoons canola mayonnaise, and 2 slices cooked crumbled bacon. Divide avocado mixture evenly among 8 bread slices. Spread 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard over 1 side of remaining 4 bread slices. Top each mustard-topped bread slice with 1 Bibb lettuce leaf and 2 plum tomato slices; sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Divide half of chicken among sandwiches; top each with 1 avocado-topped bread slice. Repeat layers. Serves 4 Calories 404; Fat 12.7g (sat 1.8g); Sodium 561mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note