Vietnamese Beef-Noodle Soup with Asian Greens
Community Recipe from
- one 8 ounce(s) sirloin steak
- 4 ounce(s) uncooked wide rice stick noodles
- 1 1/2 cup(s) thinly sliced yellow onion
- 3 WHOLE cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 clove(s) of garlic halved
- one 3 inch piece peeled fresh ginger thinly sliced
- 1 star anise
- 4 cup(s) fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1 tablespoon(s) less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon(s) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) fish sauce
- 4 cup(s) baby bok choy leaves
- 1 cup(s) snow peas trimmed
- 1 small fresh Thai chile thinly sliced into rings
- 1 cup(s) fresh bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh mint leaves
- 4 lime wedges
- 1. Freeze beef for 10 minutes; cut across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- 2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- 3. Place onion and next 5 ingredients (through star anise) in a large saucepan; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth and 2 cups of water, bring to a boil. Strain broth mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return broth to pan. Add soy sauce, sugar, and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Add bok choy and snow peas; simmer 4 minutes or until peas are crisp-tender and bok choy wilts.
- 4. Arrange 1/2 cup noodles into each of 4 large bowls. Divide raw beef and chile slices evenly among bowls. Ladle about 1 2/3 cups hot soup over each serving (broth will cook beef). Top each serving with 1/4 cup bean sprouts, 1 tablespoon basil, and 1 tablespoon mint. Serve with lime wedges.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JenGor and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Vietnamese Beef-Noodle Soup with Asian Greens Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews