This is a great Asian inspired soup. The recipe does not claim to be a Pho recipe, so I am a bit confused why some reviews have given this recipe a low rating because it strays from traditional Pho. Just to aggravate the purist, I added Miso! Om Nom Nom
Vietnamese Beef-Noodle Soup with Asian Greens
Introduce your taste buds to Vietnamese cuisine with this quick and easy soup. The rich broth, aromatic herbs, and tender steak will leave you wanting more.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 303
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 24.2g
- Carbohydrate: 31.1g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 900mg
- Calcium: 120mg
- 1 (8-ounce) sirloin steak
- 4 ounces uncooked wide rice stick noodles
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 (3-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 star anise
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 4 cups baby bok choy leaves
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 1 small fresh Thai chile, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 4 lime wedges
- 1. Freeze beef for 10 minutes; cut across grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- 2. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- 3. Place onion and next 5 ingredients (through star anise) in a large saucepan; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Strain broth mixture though a fine sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return broth to pan. Add soy sauce, sugar, and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Add bok choy and snow peas; simmer 4 minutes or until peas are crisp-tender and bok choy wilts.
- 4. Arrange 1/2 cup noodles into each of 4 large bowls. Divide raw beef and chile slices evenly among bowls. Ladle about 1 2/3 cups hot soup over each serving (broth will cook beef). Top each serving with 1/4 cup bean sprouts, 1 tablespoon basil, and 1 tablespoon mint. Serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note