I LOVE THIS DISH!!! My kids are very picky eaters and I made this for them one night. They devoured it without a single complaint. They assumed it was meatless spaghetti but didn't care they loved it as well. I have three young girls who all have very different appetites. Keep up the great work...and if you haven't tried it, this meal is great and very simple to make!
Vermicelli With Chunky Vegetable Sauce
More From Southern Living
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 (16-ounce) package vermicelli
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Sauté bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms in hot oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes; stir in zucchini, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, next 4 ingredients, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Serve sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This