- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 (16-ounce) package vermicelli
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
How to Make It
Sauté bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms in hot oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes; stir in zucchini, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Stir in tomatoes, next 4 ingredients, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
Serve sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.