Venison Meatballs in Dried Cherry Sauce
Yield: about 4 dozen
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 (3-ounce) packages dried cherries
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup Merlot
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans beef broth
- Crumble ground venison and ground beef into bowl of a heavy-duty mixer; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and allspice. Add 1/4 cup onion and next 5 ingredients; mix thoroughly at low speed. Shape mixture into 1" meatballs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add meatballs in batches, and cook until browned, turning often. Remove meatballs from skillet with a slotted spoon; set aside and keep warm.
- Cook chopped onion and celery in pan drippings until golden. Add chopped garlic; cook 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium; stir in tomato paste. Cook until paste begins to brown. Stir in cherries and next 6 ingredients; cook over medium-high heat, scraping bits that cling to bottom of skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, and cook until liquid is reduced by about half. Add broth; return to a boil and cook 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 cups. Remove from heat; cool slightly, and discard bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Pour sauce into container of an electric blender; cover and process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Pour mixture back into skillet through a wire-meshstrainer. Add meatballs to cherry sauce. Bring sauce to a boil; reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are thoroughly heated. Transfer meatballs and sauce to a chafing dish. Serve warm with wooden picks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Venison Meatballs in Dried Cherry Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers