This soup is a staple in our house on a chilly fall day! Everyone we serve it to loves it as well. We add just a pinch of nutmeg to give it more warming flavor. Delicious!
Velvety Carrot Soup with Carrot Top Pesto
Photo: Iain Bagwell
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 136
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 3.5g
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sodium: 621mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds carrots with tops on
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts
- 1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- 2. Remove carrot tops from carrots, chop roughly, and set aside. Roughly chop carrots and add to pot. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover (leave lid slightly ajar), and cook until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, mince garlic in a food processor, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add 1 cup carrot tops, the walnuts, remaining 2 1/2 tbsp. oil, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and whirl until blended.
- 4. Purée carrot-broth mixture in a blender, working in batches, until very smooth, about 1 minute per batch. Ladle into bowls and swirl in carrot top pesto.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews