To the reviewer (ShanFischer). Surimi - means "a past of inexpensive fish, shaped, colored, and flavored in imitation of lobster meat, crabmeat, etc". The recipe was not intended to be vegetarian. This receipe is great and just like what you would get if you purchased this dish.
This is a great introduction to sushi. The ingredients are familiar, and the flavor is mild. Kids love it.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 8 pieces)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 345
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Carbohydrate: 64.7g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 883mg
- Calcium: 32.6mg
- 2 cups sushi rice or other short-grain rice
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 nori (seaweed) sheets
- 12 (1/4-inch) slices peeled avocado
- 12 (1/4-inch) julienne-cut carrot strips
- 12 (1/4-inch) julienne-cut seeded peeled cucumber strips
- 6 imitation crab sticks, halved lengthwise
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Stir in vinegar and salt; cool.
- Cut off the top quarter of nori sheets along short end. Place 1 nori sheet, shiny side down, on a sushi mat covered with plastic wrap, with long end toward you. Pat 1 cup rice over nori with moist hands, leaving a 1-inch border on one long end of nori.
- Arrange 2 avocado slices, 2 carrot strips, 2 cucumber strips, and 2 crab halves along the top third of the rice-covered nori.
- Lift edge of nori closest to you; fold over filling. Lift bottom edge of sushi mat; roll toward top edge, pressing firmly on sushi roll. Continue rolling to top edge; press mat to seal sushi roll. Let rest, seam side down, 5 minutes. Slice crosswise into 8 pieces. Repeat procedure with remaining nori, rice, avocado, carrot, cucumber, and crab sticks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers