EXCELLENT!!! A little time consuming if you use a grill pan inside on the stovetop, but well worth it. I loved this dish and will definitely make again and again. I did the stacks like this: eggplant, cheese, squash, red onion, eggplant, zucchini, tomato, eggplant, cheese.
Veggie Stack with Basil
Prep: 20 minutes; Marinate: 20 minutes; Cook: 8 minutes.
More From Health
- Calories: 309
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 157mg
- Calcium: 145mg
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) eggplant, cut crosswise into 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 1 (5-ounce) yellow squash, cut crosswise into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 1 (5-ounce) zucchini, cut crosswise into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 small red onion, cut into 4 (1/4-inch-thick) rings
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, cut crosswise into 4 slices
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus additional leaves for garnish
- 1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Reserve 1/4 of vinaigrette. Add eggplant, squash, and zucchini. Let stand 20 minutes.
- 2. Bring 1 cup water to a boil, and stir in couscous. Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cover and keep warm.
- 3. Preheat a lightly oiled grill or grill pan over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Cook eggplant, squash, zucchini, and onion, turning, 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and tender. Cook tomatoes 30 seconds per side or until grill marks appear. Make 4 stacks, beginning with a slice of eggplant, then 1 tablespoon mozzarella. Continue stacking vegetables, ending with 1 tablespoon mozzarella. Grill stacks (or bake at 350° for 5 minutes), covered, 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 4. Stir reserved vinaigrette into couscous with chopped basil; spoon onto plates. Top with stacks. Garnish with additional basil, and serve.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note