We made this twice; had some issues the first time but were pleased enough over all to give it a second try. The first time, the dough stuck to the baking sheet, so it was difficult to transfer to the grill, and it ended up on the grill as a big clump. We fixed this the second time by spreading the dough on parchment paper (with the baking sheet underneath) then placing the pizza dough on the grill dough side down, with the parchment paper attached. After it cooked on the one side, the parchment paper easily peels off so that you can then flip it over. We reduced the grill heat to medium and omitted the extra salt the second time. We also found that the grilled veggies made enough for two pizzas (which worked out since we ended up making the recipe twice this week). Also, despite what one of the other reviewers stated, do NOT knead the dough. This dough uses the autolyse method to form gluten and should not be kneaded. For more info see: http://www.abreadaday.com/?p=1159
Veggie Grilled Pizza
Photo: Romulo Yanes; Styling: Philippa Brathwaite
A sprinkling of bright, sweet mint complements the smoky grilled vegetables in this dish.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 2 pieces)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 454
- Fat: 19.7g
- Saturated fat: 6.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 15.6g
- Carbohydrate: 55.7g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 4.1mg
- Sodium: 637mg
- Calcium: 176mg
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°), divided
- 10 ounce bread flour (about 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 10 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 12 ounces baby eggplant, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup Basic Pizza Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup small mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Pour 3/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attached. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and spoons; level with a knife. Add flour to 3/4 cup water; mix until combined. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and yeast in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add yeast mixture, 4 teaspoons oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to flour mixture; mix 5 minutes or until a soft dough forms. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; cover surface of dough with plastic wrap lightly coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate 24 hours.
- 2. Prepare grill to high.
- 3. Remove dough from refrigerator. Let stand, covered, 1 hour or until dough comes to room temperature. Punch dough down. Press dough out to a 12-inch oval on a lightly floured baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges to form a 1/2-inch border. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap.
- 4. Brush eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Grill eggplant 4 minutes on each side or until tender; place in a bowl. Grill zucchini 3 minutes on each side or until tender; add to eggplant. Place pepper quarters, skin side down, on grill rack; grill 6 minutes or until blistered. Place peppers in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel peppers; add to vegetable mixture. Coarsely chop vegetables. Add garlic to vegetables; toss to combine.
- 5. Place pizza dough, cornmeal side up, on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 4 minutes or until blistered. Turn dough over; grill 3 minutes. Remove from grill. Spread Basic Pizza Sauce evenly over top side of crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange vegetable mixture evenly over sauce; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Top with cheese. Return pizza to grill rack, and grill for 4 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Cut pizza into 10 pieces; sprinkle with mint and thyme.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note