This is one of my go to recipes for healthy weeknight dinners. We add additional veggies like diced tomatoes, peppers or squash which I sautÃ© with the onions and mushrooms. If you do this, you might want to reduce the mushrooms. We also use whatever cheese we have on hand like gruyere or Parmesan. I use all whole eggs and 1% milk.
More From Southern Living
Other: 3 Minutes
- Calories: 139
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Carbohydrate: 3.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 119mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 231mg
- Calcium: 202mg
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 (8-oz.) container sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) bag fresh baby spinach*
- 4 large eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 (8-oz.) block 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Garnishes: black pepper, chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Sauté onion and mushrooms in hot oil in an ovenproof nonstick 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach, and sauté 3 minutes or until water evaporates and spinach wilts. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- 2. Whisk together 4 large eggs, 6 egg whites, Cheddar cheese, and next 5 ingredients.
- 3. Pour egg mixture into skillet with onion mixture, stirring to combine.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes or just until set. Let stand 3 minutes. Cut into wedges. Garnish, if desired.
- *1 (10-oz.) package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained, may be substituted for fresh spinach.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note