Veggie Burgers - Black Bean
From Gwyneth Paltrow's "My Father's Daughter." Make extra brown rice one night and then make these in the next day or two.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 whole(s) small yellow onion finely diced
- 2 whole(s) garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 whole(s) 14 oz can of black beans drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup(s) cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh cilantro* finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) flour
- 3 tablespoon(s) grapeseed oil
- 4 whole(s) whole wheat buns (optional)
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium-low heat. Saute the onion, garlic and cumin together until softened and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, beans, and rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add the cilantro if using* and mash the mixture with a potato masher just to combine and get some cohesion. Don't overmash - you want the burgers to have texture.
- 3. Let the mixture cool until it's easy to handle. Form the mixture into 4 patties. At this point, you can set them aside in the refrigerator for a few hours if you'd like. Just bring them to room temperature before you go to the next step.
- 4. Dust on both sides with flour. Heat the grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the burgers on both sides, about a minute on each side.
- Serve on toasted buns (or not) with fixings (or not). These are great with tomato relish or anything else you like.
- *If you don't care for cilantro (like me), you can substitute flat leaf parsley or simply omit.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CKSchirmeier and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Veggie Burgers - Black Bean Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes