Satisfy vegetarian guests with these simple burgers, which are chock full of couscous, lentils, and other healthy ingredients. Beans made from scratch have better flavor, but the cooking can take hours. Canned beans are a solid alternative, if you rinse and drain them well. Recipe by Kate Merker: June, 2009 from the Real Simple website: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/veggie-burgers-00000000014283/index.html.
Refrigerate: 20 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/4 cup(s) couscous
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup(s) sunflower seeds
- 1 15-ounce can(s) lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the couscous and 1/4 cup hot tap water. Let sit for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- 2. In a food processor, puree the egg, sunflower seeds, and 3/4 cup of the lentils until they form a paste; transfer to a bowl. Mix in the carrot, onion, lemon juice, couscous, the remaining lentils, 1/2 teaspoon salt,and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Form the mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Refrigerate, uncovered, until firm, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 3. Heat grill to medium-high. Oil the grill grate. Grill the patties, turning once (do not press or flatten), until charred and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve on rolls with the desired toppings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note