My kids loved it. I skipped the beans and added trader Jose's veggie mix w/ edamame & garlic. I also added diced red and yellow peppers to boost the vitamins. Hearty and filling vegan dinner.
Vegeterian Bean & Barley Soup
I originally found this recipe on About.com (by Jolinda Hackett) but have since modified it a bit to make it my own. This delicious soup is quick and easy to put together and will please even your picky eaters. And it's FILLING! This is one vegetarian dish that will NOT leave you hungry!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 Medium-sized sweet yellow onion - chopped
- 3-4 stalk(s) Celery - chopped
- 1/2 pound(s) Frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
- 4 cup(s) Vegetable broth
- 6 cup(s) Water
- 6 cube(s) Knorr vegetable bullion
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Pearled barley (uncooked)
- 2 can(s) Pinto beans (15.5 oz) Rinsed and drained
- 1 can(s) Tomato paste (6 oz can)
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) Coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Celery salt
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) Basil
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning mix
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) Thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
- 3 Bay leaves (large)
- 1. In a large soup pot, saute the onions, celery, and frozen vegetables for 3-5 minutes.
- 2. Add vegetable broth, water, and all other ingredients.
- 3. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low.
- 4. Allow to simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally, until barley is soft and somewhat fluffy.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Mom2LittleMiss and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note