These taste like they have meat in them - I skipped the broth step - just wrapped a few tortillas at a time in wet paper towel and microwaved for 20-30 seconds to get them pliable. Turned out perfectly... really delicious!
Taquito (ta-KEE-toe) means "little taco," and these are a vegetarian delight. They're filled with savory ingredients and then rolled into cigar-shaped bundles. You can prepare and refrigerate the filling the night before; allow it to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before assembling the taquitos. Use tongs to dip the tortillas into the simmering broth.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 185
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 25.8g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 412mg
- Calcium: 159mg
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups veggie ground round (such as Yves Veggie Cuisine)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- REMAINING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 16 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Cooking spray
- To prepare filling, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add veggie ground round and next 4 ingredients (through chiles); cook 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, carefully dip tortilla into broth for 2 seconds using tongs; place softened tortilla on a paper towel. Spoon about 1 tablespoon filling across lower third of tortilla; top with 2 teaspoons cheese. Roll up; place rolled tortilla on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly spray roll with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, filling, and cheese.
- Bake at 425° for 13 minutes or until rolls are crisp.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note