Not a vegetarian recipe, it contains 'fish sauce'. Try relabeling it as 'Vegetable Pad Thai'.
Vegetarian Pad Thai
Crispy bits of pan-fried tofu and scrambled egg are the proteins in this meat-free version of the popular Thai dish. Give yourself about 25 minutes to pull it all together. If you're serving strict vegetarians, substitute vegetarian soy sauce for the Thai fish sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 347
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 56.7g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 935mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 2/3 cup chili sauce (such as Heinz)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped seeded serrano chile
- 1/2 pound wide rice stick noodles (bánh pho)
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (12.3-ounce) package extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 3/4 cup diagonally cut green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 6 lime wedges
- Combine first 6 ingredients; set aside.
- Cook noodles in boiling water 5 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan.
- Combine egg whites and egg, stirring well with a whisk.
- Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and sauté for 10 seconds. Add egg mixture, and cook for 30 seconds or until soft-scrambled, stirring constantly. Stir in chili sauce mixture and noodles; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tofu, bean sprouts, onions, and 1/4 cup cilantro, and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup cilantro and peanuts evenly over each serving of noodle mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note