This was delicious, even for my meat-loving husband! I didn't have the parmesan rind, but it still came out great.
Vegetarian Bolognese with Whole-Wheat Penne
The Parmigiano-Reggiano rind simmers with the sauce, infusing it with deep, savory umami taste.
More From Cooking Light
1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 334
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 14.8g
- Carbohydrate: 57.7g
- Fiber: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 542mg
- Calcium: 156mg
- 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/4 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes with basil, undrained
- 1 (2-inch) piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind
- 12 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Place dried mushrooms in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.
- 2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes. Add wine; simmer 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add 1/4 cup warm water and next 4 ingredients (through cheese rind) to onion mixture. Stir in ground porcini. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes. Keep warm. Remove rind; discard.
- 3. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Place 1 cup of pasta in each of 6 bowls. Top each portion with 3/4 cup sauce and about 1 tablespoon cheese.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note