Vegetables au Gratin
Assemble this early on the day of your dinner to save last-minute hurrying.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 160
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23.3g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 249mg
- Calcium: 179mg
- 2 large leeks (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper herb and spice blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornflake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving 6 inches of each leek. Cut each leek in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices. Rinse under cold water; drain. Set aside.
- Wash brussels sprouts thoroughly under cold running water, and remove discolored leaves. Cut off stem ends, and cut large sprouts in half; set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add oil. Place over medium heat until hot. Add leeks and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add sprouts, carrot, and water; cover and cook 15 minutes. Spoon vegetable mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a wire whisk until well blended. Increase heat to medium; cook 6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon-pepper blend and salt. Pour sauce over vegetable mixture. (Cover and chill mixture now, if desired.)
- Combine cornflake crumbs and cheese; stir well. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture. Cover and bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles