- 3/4 cup Argo® Corn Starch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Argo® Baking Powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Garlic Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands® Fine Grind Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Spice Islands® Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 cup water or beer
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Mazola® Corn Oil for deep fat frying
- 4 cups cut-up vegetables, such as zucchini, carrots, onion or mushrooms
How to Make It
COMBINE corn starch, flour, baking powder, garlic salt, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Add water and egg; stir until mixture is smooth.
HEAT 3 to 4 inches of oil in a deep pot over medium heat to 350°F.
DIP vegetables into batter, stirring batter occasionally. Fry a few vegetables at a time, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
DRAIN on paper towels. Serve immediately.
Recipe variation: 1 1/2 pounds raw, peeled shrimp can be substituted for the vegetables.