this recipe has good intentions, but almost nothing can make tempeh palatable. after baking, the tempeh cubes just tasted like bland tater tots. ick.
Vegetable Tagine with Baked Tempeh
Photo: Karry Hosford
Don't let the long ingredient list intimidate you--the deliciously spicy blend of seasonings makes this dish an autumn standout.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 4 ounces tempeh, 3/4 cup tagine, and 1/2 cup couscous)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 507
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 16.1g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Protein: 29.5g
- Carbohydrate: 69.3g
- Fiber: 16.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 6.4mg
- Sodium: 642mg
- Calcium: 262mg
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 (1-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow squash
- 1 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled tomato
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 cups hot cooked couscous
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- To prepare the tagine, combine first 6 ingredients in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 peeled garlic cloves; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes.
- Stir in cumin mixture, sweet potato, and next 5 ingredients (sweet potato through tomato); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until thick. Stir in lemon juice.
- To prepare the tempeh, preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 2/3 cup water and next 7 ingredients (2/3 cup water through 4 minced garlic cloves) in a large bowl. Add tempeh, and toss well to coat. Arrange the tempeh mixture in a single layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Serve tempeh over tagine and couscous; sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note