This was a great soup. I used a little more sausage than called for but really did't need to...it tastes very rich, but is pretty healthy.
Vegetable & Spicy Sausage Soup
Recipe from March 2010 Cooking Light - Ellie Krieger recipe
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 ounce(s) light pork sausage
- 1 1/2 cup(s) onion finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup(s) zucchini finely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) carrot finely chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) celery finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt divided
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground red pepper
- 3 cup(s) fat free chicken broth divided
- 15 1/2 can(s) cannellini beans rinsed, drained & divided
- 1/3 cup(s) half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon(s) fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoon(s) grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- Heat a large Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add sausage to pan and brown, stir to crumble. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Return pan to medium heat. Add chopped onion, Zucchini, squash, carrot, celery, 1/4 t. salt and garlic; cook for five minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 T tomato paste and red pepper; cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Place one cup vegetable mixture, 1/2 c broth, and one can of rinsed, drained beans in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Return pureed bean mixture to pan. Add remaining 2 1/2 c broth and second can of rinsed, drained beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 1/4 t salt, half-and-half, rosemary and 1/2 t black pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Combine cheese and 1/8 t black pepper in a small bowl. Drop cheese mixture by tablespoonfuls to make five mounds, four inches apart on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Pat mounds into three inch circles. Bake for three minutes or until golden and bubbling. Cool on pan for three minutes.
- Ladle about one cup of soup into each of five bowls; top each serving with about 2 1/2 T sausage and one cheese cracker.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by komao67 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Vegetable & Spicy Sausage Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews