- 1 (1 3/4-pound) meaty beef shank bone
- 5 quarts water
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups lima beans
- 2 cups fresh corn cut from cob
- 1/2 medium-size head cabbage, coarsely grated
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 turnip, peeled, quartered, and sliced
- 2 carrots, scraped and sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 dashes hot sauce
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Combine shank bone and water in a large stock pot; bring to a boil. Skim surface, and reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 1/2 hours. Remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove and discard excess fat. Strain broth through several layers of damp cheesecloth. Return broth to stock pot.
- Bring broth to a boil; stir in remaining ingredients, except flour. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Transfer 3/4 cup soup to a small bowl; add flour, stirring to make a paste. Add flour mixture to soup in stock pot; stir until well blended. Return soup to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, until soup is slightly thickened.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls, and serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note