Vegetable Shepherd's Pie
Photo: Sang An
More From Real Simple
Other: 20 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 235
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Sodium: 328mg
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 5g
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh spinach or torn Swiss chard leaves (optional)
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Place the sweet potatoes and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes. Add the parsnips, celery, fennel, Brussels sprouts, parsley, pepper, and the remaining salt and toss. Add the broth, increase heat, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the spinach or Swiss chard (if using) and stir until wilted. Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a casserole or 9-inch pie plate.
Drain the potatoes and return to pot. Add the remaining butter and mash until smooth. Spread the mashed potatoes over the vegetables.
Set broiler on high. Broil until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the nutmeg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note