Absolutely delicious! It was difficult toasting them, but worth the effort.
Vegetable and Rice Burritos with Quesadilla Cheese
Most grocery stores have a refrigerated section of Mexican cheeses; look for quesadilla cheese there. Use the more commonly found crumbly queso fresco if quesadilla cheese is not available, or opt for melty Monterey Jack. Warming tortillas prior to adding your filling will help keep the tortillas from tearing or cracking during the rolling process—a must-do step for perfect burritos.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 40 Minutes
- Calories: 363
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 11.1g
- Carbohydrate: 51.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 543mg
- Calcium: 101mg
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/3 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 4 (7- to 8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 4 ounces quesadilla cheese, shredded (about 1 cup packed)
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1. Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add rice and 1/2 teaspoon garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 2/3 cup water and 1/8 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; stir in jalapeño.
- 2. Combine sour cream, chopped cilantro, juice, and red pepper in a small bowl.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic and mushrooms; sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add corn and zucchini; sauté 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and tomatoes; sauté 30 seconds or until tomatoes are thoroughly heated. Remove vegetable mixture from pan. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- 4. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide sour cream mixture evenly among tortillas; spread to a thin layer, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup cheese, about 1/4 cup rice mixture, and about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture. Roll up each, jelly-roll fashion. Return skillet to medium heat. Add 2 burritos to pan, seam side down; cook 1 minute on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining burritos. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note