I did everything on the stove except for the final step. After putting the dough on top of the vegetables, I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes until golden. The recipe is very good, but does need more salt than indicated.
Vegetable Pot Pie with Parmesan-Black Pepper Biscuits
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 346
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 11.9g
- Carbohydrate: 48.2g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 606mg
- Calcium: 243mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups diced peeled baking potato (8 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups diced carrot (3 carrots)
- 1 cup diced parsnip (2 parsnips)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (3 stalks)
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen petite green peas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- Biscuit topping:
- 7.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1. To prepare filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add potato and next 6 ingredients (through black pepper); sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Coat a 5-quart electric slow cooker with cooking spray. Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker.
- 2. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, stirring with a whisk. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually add milk and broth, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly with whisk. Pour sauce into slow cooker. Stir in peas, thyme, and onions. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. To make biscuit topping, weigh or lightly spoon 7.5 ounces flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese and chives. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist.
- 4. Increase slow cooker heat to HIGH. Drop biscuits onto filling in 8 equal mounds. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until biscuits are done. Uncover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note