Vegetable Pizza with Rice Crust
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 326
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 398mg
- Cholesterol: 87mg
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- About 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly slivered red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 can (2 1/4 oz.) sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 3/4 cup prepared pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 2- to 2 1/2-quart pan, combine rice and 2 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until most of the water is absorbed, 7 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Scrape rice into a large bowl. Cool about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork.
- 2. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend. Add eggs and cheddar cheese to rice and mix well. Scrape rice mixture into an oiled 9- by 13-inch pan and pat into an even layer.
- 3. Bake in a 400° oven until rice begins to brown around edge, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, frequently stir 1 tablespoon olive oil, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, and onion until mushrooms begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in olives. Remove from heat.
- 5. Spread pizza sauce evenly over baked rice and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Spoon vegetable mixture over crust and top with parmesan cheese.
- 6. Return to oven and bake until parmesan begins to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cut into rectangles and lift from pan with a spatula.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes