Vegetable-Packed Tomato Sauce
"Vegetarian food served Southern-style: Authors find tasty meat substitutes for classic dishes" by Michael Hastings. Recipe from "The Southern Vegetarian: 100 Down-Home Recipes for the Modern Table" by food writer Amy Lawrence and photographer/writer Justin Fox Burks, a husband and wife from Memphis, TN. Winston-Salem Journal: Wednesday, July 31, 2013.
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil, divided use
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup(s) white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
- 2 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) cane sugar
- 5 cup(s) diced tomatoes
- 1 tube tomato paste (about 4.5 ounces)
- 1 head(s) of garlic, peeled (8 to 12 cloves)
- Iodized sea salt and cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place the frozen vegetable trimmings (stems and cores removed) on a 17 by 12-inch rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with ? cup olive oil. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until the vegetables begin to brown on top. Remove and set aside.
- 2. Put remaining ? cup olive oil into a large stockpot on medium heat and place the chopped carrots, celery and onions in the pot. Sweat the vegetables until the onions are translucent. Add the Italian seasoning, white wine, vinegar, sugar and reduce for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid had evaporated. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, and bring to a simmer.
- 3. Add the roasted vegetables. Using an immersion blender, blend the sauce until smooth. Add water or stock to adjust the thickness of the sauce. Add sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Cover and cook the sauce for 1 hour.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note