Fantastic! I am shifting toward a vegetarian diet, and this makes it sooooo easy! I cooked this for my parents, and when I told my dad (as he asked for seconds) that there wasn't any meat in it, he said, "There's no meat in here? Really?" Very flavorful and great texture. Will definitely become a staple for me!
Vegetable "Meat" Loaf
Vegetarians and carnivores alike will love this ingenious twist on meat loaf. The meaty-flavored, umami-rich recipe received our Test Kitchen's highest rating. Ordinarily you wouldn't pack a meat loaf into the pan, but since we're using a vegetable mixture, you will to make sure it holds together.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 47 Minutes
- Calories: 338
- Fat: 21.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 10.1g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Carbohydrate: 22.6g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 535mg
- Calcium: 197mg
- Meat loaf:
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup 1/2-inch asparagus pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vodka or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. To prepare meat loaf, cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand for 10 minutes. Peel and finely chop. Place bell peppers in a large bowl.
- 3. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- 4. Place about one-fourth of mushrooms in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until finely chopped. Transfer chopped mushrooms to a bowl. Repeat procedure 3 times with remaining mushrooms.
- 5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 15 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms to bell peppers. Wipe pan with paper towels. Add asparagus and onion to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until just tender, stirring occasionally. Add onion mixture to mushroom mixture.
- 6. Arrange breadcrumbs in an even layer on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until golden. Add breadcrumbs and the next 8 ingredients (through eggs) to mushroom mixture, stirring well. Spoon mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; press gently to pack. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155°.
- 7. To prepare topping, combine 2 tablespoons ketchup and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; brush ketchup mixture over meat loaf. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes; cut into 6 slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note