Yum! This was easy to put together, and the veggies gave the sauce a great texture/bite. I used yellow squash in place of the eggplant. And, I would cut the amount of mozzarella cheese in half next time. Keeper!
More From Southern Living
Bake: 50 Minutes
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with oregano and basil, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) package frozen cheese-stuffed manicotti, unthawed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Sauté minced garlic in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat 1 minute.
- Stir in eggplant and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid evaporates. Stir in salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper; add diced tomatoes, and remove mixture from heat.
- Spoon half of vegetable mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Layer evenly with stuffed frozen manicotti, grated Parmesan cheese, and half of mozzarella cheese; top with remaining half of vegetable mixture.
- Bake at 375°, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with remaining half of mozzarella cheese, and bake 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note