Vegetable-loaded pasta bake
Community Recipe from
- 8 oz dried whole wheat penne pasta 2 3/4 cups
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower florets, 1/2 medium head
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 12 oz kale, stems removed, leaves torn, 12 cups
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 recipe cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded parmesan cheese
- all purose flour
- extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350. In large Dutch oven cook pasta according to package directions; add cauliflower the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain, rinse.
- 2. In same pan cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat 2 minutes. Add carrots and celery; cook just until tender. Add kale; cook just until wilted. Stir in pasta mixture, peas, and corn. Stir in cheese sauce. Transfer to 2 1/2 quart casserole. Cover; bake 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with parmesan. Bake 5 minutes more. Makes 6 servings.
- Cheese sauce: In small saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Add 1 cup fat free milk all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; add 4 ounce shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (1 cup). Cook and stir until melted.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by philtoe50 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Vegetable-loaded pasta bake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes