I really liked this lasagna recipe. Im not sure if the tomatoes really added anything besides color, so next time I will omit them. I think I'll make this recipe a little Mexican and add roasted poblano to the filing instead. The sauce was just right!
Our Vegetable Lasagna has half the fat and calories of traditional lasagna--but loaded with satisfying flavor. Lots of colorful, delicious baby veggies are layered between pasta to reduce the typical mounds of cheese.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours
- Calories: 401
- Fat: 18.7g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 16.7g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 802mg
- Calcium: 205mg
- 3 large shallots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 pounds baby pattypan squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 3 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 9 cooked lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 ounces grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup, packed)
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil
- 1. To prepare vegetables, place a small metal roasting pan in oven. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Combine shallots and squash; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; toss. Arrange vegetables in preheated pan; roast at 450° for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- 3. Preheat broiler to high.
- 4. Place tomatoes in a roasting pan; broil 10 minutes or until blistered. Combine squash mixture, tomatoes, 1/4 cup basil, chives, and garlic; toss gently.
- 5. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- 6. To prepare sauce, heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl. Combine broth and flour, stirring with a whisk; add broth mixture to oil. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in cream, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; simmer gently 4 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Place egg in a small bowl; slowly add 1 1/2 cups sauce to egg, stirring constantly. Return sauce to pan.
- 7. Spread 1/2 cup sauce over the bottom of a broiler-safe 13 x 9inch ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce; spread half of squash mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Repeat the layers with remaining noodles, vegetable mixture, and Parmigiano-Reggiano, ending with noodles. Pour remaining sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with fontina. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- 8. Preheat broiler to high.
- 9. Broil lasagna for 4 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons fresh basil. Let stand for 12 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note