Everyone loves this recipe! It was a huge hit at an Oscar party. I've made it several times.
Suggested by Sunset Facebook fan, Judy Shellabarger Gosnell.
Your typical vegetarian enchiladas are mostly cheese. That's not the case with this version, loaded with fresh spinach, corn, and two types of beans.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 343
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sodium: 1271mg
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 qts. baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen corn
- About 1 can (19 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 9 all-corn tortillas, quartered
- 1 cup refried beans
- About 1 cup cooked rinsed black beans
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring as needed, until almost completely wilted. Add corn and cook until hot. Set aside.
- 2. Put 6 ovenproof baking dishes* (each about 12-oz. capacity) on a rimmed baking sheet. Working with one dish at a time, spoon in 2 tbsp. enchilada sauce. Top with 2 tortilla quarters, 2 rounded tbsp. each refried beans and black beans, 1 tbsp. cheese, and 2 more tortilla quarters, pushing tortillas down gently as you layer them over cheese and beans. Spoon in 1/3 cup (packed) vegetable mixture, then 2 more tortilla quarters, 3 tbsp. enchilada sauce, and 2 tbsp. cheese. Repeat layering with remaining dishes.
- 3. Bake enchiladas until bubbling, cheese is melted, and tortillas are starting to brown on edges, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.
- *Or use a 9- by 13-in. baking dish, spreading one-third of sauce over bottom; top with one-third of tortillas, the beans, one-third of cheese, one-third of tortillas, the vegetable mixture, remaining tortillas, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note