This recipe is good but I feel that its lacking something. Seemed a little bland. If I made it again I would definitley make changes.
Vegetable Donburi Over Seasoned Rice
Donburi (dohn-boo-ree) is "fast food" in Japan--boiled rice topped with broth and either vegetables, meat, fish, or eggs. Our version combines shiitake mushroom caps, carrots, and green onions, and is flavored with Asian seasonings and miso, a slightly sweet paste made from ground soybeans. You can find miso in most large supermarkets, Asian markets, or health-food stores.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 315
- Calories from fat: 6%
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 8.8g
- Carbohydrate: 64.4g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 869mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 5 cups water, divided
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked sushi rice or other short-grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons miso (soybean paste)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 pound mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup (1-inch) sliced green onions
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand.
- Bring 2 cups water and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in miso, soy sauce, and sugar. Add mushrooms, ginger, and garlic; reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in carrot and onions; cook 2 minutes.
- Whisk egg whites and egg in a small bowl. Gently pour egg mixture into broth mixture (do not stir); cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat; gently stir.
- Spoon 1 cup of rice into each of 6 large soup bowls. Ladle 1 cup of the broth mixture evenly over rice.
- Note: Sushi rice, a sticky rice that's available in many large supermarkets, holds together well when topped with vegetables and broth. But any rice will work in this dish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note