Vegetable Chip Medley
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- 2 medium unpeeled red potatoes, sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- 3 large radishes, sliced 1/16 inch thick
- 1 small butternut squash, narrow end only, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- 1 large thick carrot, sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- 1 small boniato (batata), optional, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- 1 small yuca (cassava), optional, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- 1. Blanch the sweet potato slices in a large saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels and pat dry. Blanch all the remaining vegetables except the plantain, one vegetable at a time; pat dry. Keep the vegetables separate after blanching.
- 2. Lightly coat a large microwave-safe plate with cooking spray. Arrange the sweet potato slices, without overlapping, on the plate and season with salt. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Toss the slices and cook for about 2 more minutes, or until crisp. Spread the chips on a platter to cool, then transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining blanched vegetables, cooking each vegetable separately until the slices stiffen, about 7 minutes per batch. Spray the plate before cooking each batch.
- 3. Arrange the plantain slices on the sprayed plate and microwave for about 6 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Let cool. If necessary, microwave for 1 to 2 minutes longer, until crisp.
- Make Ahead: The chips can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Recrisp them in a 250° oven.
- Notes: ONE CUP: Calories 131 kcal, Protein 2.4 gm, Carbohydrate 32 gm, Cholesterol 0, Total Fat .41 gm, Saturated Fat .1 gm
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers