- 2 medium leeks
- 2 small fennel bulbs with stalks
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups cubed peeled baking potato (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 (1-ounce) slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- calories 336
- caloriesfromfat 21 %
- fat 8 g
- satfat 3.1 g
- monofat 3.1 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 12.5 g
- carbohydrate 54.2 g
- fiber 7.8 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 3.9 mg
- sodium 754 mg
- calcium 280 mg
How to Make It
Remove and discard roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks. Cut off dark leaves of leeks, leaving 6 inches of bulb; reserve dark leaves and bulbs. Remove stalks from fennel bulbs; reserve stalks and bulbs.
Combine dark leaves of leek, fennel stalks, 4 cups water, wine, and fennel seeds in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes. Drain through a colander over a large bowl; discard solids.
Slice reserved leek bulbs in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into thin slices. Rinse with cold water; drain. Thinly slice reserved fennel bulbs.
Add oil to pan; heat over medium heat. Add sliced leek and salt; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth, sliced fennel, 2 cups water, squash, potato, juice, saffron, chickpeas, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Stir in pepper; sprinkle with parsley.
Place bread on a baking sheet; sprinkle each slice with 2 tablespoons cheese. Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts. Serve with soup.