Vegetable Burgers with Indian Seasonings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 255
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 41.5g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 5.7mg
- Sodium: 518mg
- Calcium: 94mg
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 pound cubed peeled red potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen petite green peas
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup uncooked farina (such as Instant Cream of Wheat)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 (6-inch) pita bread rounds, cut in half
- Combine lentils and potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Combine lentil mixture and salt in a large bowl. Mash; set aside.
- Steam carrot, cauliflower, and peas, covered, 3 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add cumin, ginger, mustard seeds, red pepper, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro.
- Add onion mixture, carrot mixture, and farina to lentil mixture; stir gently. With floured hands, divide mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping into 4-inch patties. Dip each patty in egg substitute; dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 3 patties; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove patties from skillet. Set aside; keep warm. Repeat procedure with 2 teaspoons oil and 3 patties. Serve in pita bread halves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches