- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 pound cubed peeled red potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen petite green peas
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup uncooked farina (such as Instant Cream of Wheat)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 (6-inch) pita bread rounds, cut in half
- calories 255
- caloriesfromfat 18 %
- fat 5.1 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- monofat 1.5 g
- polyfat 2.2 g
- protein 10.9 g
- carbohydrate 41.5 g
- fiber 4.2 g
- cholesterol 1 mg
- iron 5.7 mg
- sodium 518 mg
- calcium 94 mg
How to Make It
Combine lentils and potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Combine lentil mixture and salt in a large bowl. Mash; set aside.
Steam carrot, cauliflower, and peas, covered, 3 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add cumin, ginger, mustard seeds, red pepper, and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro.
Add onion mixture, carrot mixture, and farina to lentil mixture; stir gently. With floured hands, divide mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping into 4-inch patties. Dip each patty in egg substitute; dredge in breadcrumbs.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 3 patties; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove patties from skillet. Set aside; keep warm. Repeat procedure with 2 teaspoons oil and 3 patties. Serve in pita bread halves.