More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 183
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 33.7g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 141mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- 1 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup skim milk (105° to 115°)
- 5 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/4 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 5 ingredients; set aside.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in 3/4 cup warm milk in a large bowl, and let sugar mixture stand 5 minutes. Add 2 cups flour, potato mixture, margarine, salt, vinegar, and egg, and beat mixture at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Stir in 1 cup flour to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes), and add enough of the remaining flour to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover dough, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and divide in half. Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), roll dough into a 10 x 7-inch rectangle. Cut dough crosswise into 20 (7-inch-long) 1/2-inch-wide strips. Gently twist strips of dough. Repeat with remaining dough. Place dough twists 1 inch apart on two baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover dough twists, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover breadsticks. Bake breadsticks at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on wire racks.
- Note: To make 2 loaves instead of breadsticks, roll each portion into a 10 x 7-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a long edge and pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side down, in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans; let cool on wire racks.
- Variations: You can substitute the following vegetable mixtures for the mashed potato mixture (the first five ingredients) called for in the original recipe.
- Tomato Variation:
- 2 (6-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- CALORIES 142 (17% from fat); FAT 2.7g (sat 0.5g, mono 1g, poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 4.6g; CARB 25g; FIBER 0.1g; CHOL 9mg; IRON 1.7mg; SODIUM 133mg; CALC 24mg
- Spinach Variation:
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- CALORIES 134 (18% from fat); FAT 2.7g (sat 0.5g, mono 1g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 4.4g; CARB 22.8g; FIBER 0.5g; CHOL 9mg; IRON 1.6mg; SODIUM 136mg; CALC 30mg
- Beet Variation:
- 1 (16-ounce) jar sliced beets, drained and puréed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- CALORIES 134 (18% from fat); FAT 2.7g (sat 0.5g, mono 1g, poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 4.4g; CARB 23g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 9mg; IRON 1.4mg; SODIUM 147mg; CALC 18mg
- Sweet Potato Variation:
- 1 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons pineapple extract or vanilla extract
- CALORIES 154 (16% from fat); FAT 2.7g (sat 0.5g, mono 1g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 4.4g; CARB 27.3g; FIBER 0.7g; CHOL 9mg; IRON 1.5mg; SODIUM 130mg; CALC 20mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This