Vegatrian Apple, Sage and Chestnut Dressing
Stand: 15 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil divided
- 1 cup(s) celery thinly sliced. About 4 stalks
- 1 1/2 cup(s) onion chopped, about 1 medium onion
- 4 cup(s) apples chopped, Fuji, about 3 apples
- 3 tablespoon(s) flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fesh sage finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh thyme finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 10 cup(s) whole-grain bread cubed and toasted to dry
- 2 cup(s) coarsely chopped cooked shelled chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper freshly ground
- 1 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 1/4 cup(s) vegetable broth heated
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter unsalted
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- 2. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; saute 5 minutes. Add apple, parsley, sage, thyme, and rosemary; saute 3 minutes.
- 3. Combine apple mixture, bread, chestnuts, salt, pepper, and egg in a large bowl. Add hot broth; stir well. (Mixture should be moist but not soaked.) Spoon into prepared baking dish. Dot with butter. Cover with foil. (I melted the butter into the broth. That worked fine.)
- 4. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 25 minutes or till top is golden brown. Let stand 15-20 minutes before serving. OR cook in a slow cooker, 45 minutes on high and 4 - 8 hours on low.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JoAnne Barnum and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note