This veal recipe was great! I prepared it as written except I substituted chopped onion for the shallots. It is a fast, easy recipe; my whole family loved it. I served it with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli/cauliflower medley and homemade triple cheese buns.
Veal Scallops in Irish Whiskey Sauce
Photo: Jan Smith
For a more affordable alternative, use pork loin chops cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices instead of veal. To slice pork easily, place it in the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 veal slices and 1/4 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 208
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 23.5g
- Carbohydrate: 3.4g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 433mg
- Calcium: 26mg
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound (1/4-inch-thick) veal scaloppine
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped shallots
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over veal.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of veal to skillet. Cook 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet; set aside, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining olive oil, butter, and veal.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the chopped shallots and presliced mushrooms to pan, and cook 1 minute. Add Irish whiskey, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth and sherry; simmer 3 minutes or just until sauce begins to thicken. Return veal to pan. Cover and simmer 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Place veal on a serving platter, and top with mushrooms and sauce. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This