- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh celery leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 (1/4-pound) veal cutlets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Fresh celery leaves (optional)
How to Make It
Combine sausage and chopped onion in a medium skillet; cook over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain. Combine sausage mixture, stuffing mix, chopped celery leaves, parsley, 2 tablespoons water, salt, and pepper; mix well. Set aside.
Flatten cutlets to 1/8-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or a rolling pin; place 1/4 cup stuffing mixture on each veal cutlet. Fold cutlet over stuffing mixture, and secure with wooden picks.
Dredge each veal bird in flour, and brown in butter in a large skillet. Add remaining water, sliced onion, and mushrooms; cover and simmer 45 minutes or until veal is tender. Transfer veal birds, onions, and mushrooms to a warm serving platter; garnish with celery leaves, if desired.